Health Services & Health Insurance

Taking care of your health needs is of special concern when you are living in a foreign country, where both the health care system and methods of treatment may be unfamiliar. The best thing to do is to learn as much as you can about the health care available to you before you need this service. Please click on the links below to learn about health care services and the Detroit Mercy health insurance plan for international students.

Open All | Close All


    Detroit Mercy Health Center

    At the Detroit Mercy Health Center, which is staffed by nurse practitioners, registered students may receive care and treatment for minor illnesses or injuries. A per-service fee is in effect. Consultant services are also available through Providence Hospital. Since the on-campus Health Center is not equipped to handle serious accidents and sicknesses, students will be referred elsewhere for appropriate treatment in these cases.

    In addition to the treatment of minor illnesses or injuries, the Health Center offers the following for-pay services. The fee for these services will be billed to your University account. (Information on fees is available at the Health Center.)

    • Physical Exam (for routine annual follow-up, school admission or employment purposes)
    • Immunization
      • Tetanus/Diphtheria
      • Hepatitis B
      • Influenza (Flu)
      • Tuberculosis (TB)
      • Skin Testing (PPD)

    When the Health Center is closed, you should seek treatment at Providence Hospital's Express Care, a 24-hour urgent care facility. Providence Hospital is located near the Detroit Mercy campus at 16001 W. Nine Mile Road, between Greenfield and Providence Drive. Providence Hospital's phone number is 248-471-8566.


    If you have an emergency and are not in the vicinity of Providence Hospital, go directly to the nearest hospital emergency room. For immediate medical assistance dial 911 or, if you are on campus, you can dial 3-1234 to summon campus police.

    Prescription Medicines

    Pre-packaged prescription medicines available on site. (No need to travel to pharmacy)

    Tuberculosis (TB) Testing

    To safeguard the health of its students, the University requires that, upon arrival on campus, all new students living in the residence halls and all new international students (except those born and raised in Canada) have a tuberculosis (TB) skin test performed at the Detroit Mercy Health Center.


    Health Insurance

    The Detroit Mercy health insurance plan for International Students

    As you may know, health care is very expensive in the United States and individuals who do not have health insurance may be required to pay thousands of dollars if they become seriously ill or are seriously injured. Because it can assume no responsibility for the health care costs of its students, the University requires that non-immigrant students registered at Detroit Mercy purchase the University's health insurance plan for international students, beginning the first semester in which they enroll. You must also purchase health insurance for dependents who are with you in the U.S.

    Following are answers to the most commonly asked questions about the University's health insurance plan. For a detailed description of the plan, please visit the insurance website here.

    Do all international students have to purchase the insurance?

    Most of them do, but there are a few exceptions:

    • Students who have government-sponsored health insurance from Canada and Libyan Scholars.
    • Students in H-1 or L-1 status who have insurance through their employer.
    • Students who are insured through their spouse's (only) U.S. employer.

    What are the dates of coverage?

    Your coverage period begins on the first day of the semester in which you enter the University (fall, August 20; winter, January 3; summer, May 1). Your coverage ends on the following August 20. When coverage ends, the ISO automatically renews the coverage of current students for a one-year period.

    How will I pay for my insurance?

    In most cases, the Student Accounting Office will add the amount of the premium to your university fees and will send you a bill. The fee for the insurance premium may not appear on the first bill you receive. However, you can be assured that you are covered under the health insurance plan even though you may not yet have paid the insurance premium.

    Payment for health insurance for your dependents in the U.S. is made directly to the insurance company by personal check. The International Services Office will help you with this process.

    When will I receive my insurance card?

    You can download your insurance card within two to three weeks of the beginning of classes at

    What does the plan cover?

    The plan pays for medical care when you are sick or injured. It does not pay for any routine physical examinations or preventive measures, treatment for pre-existing medical conditions (conditions, including pregnancy, which existed before insurance coverage began), or dental treatment. The plan pays 100 percent of costs up to certain limits and 80 percent of costs exceeding that limit when you receive treatment from a member of the Preferred Providers of Michigan (PPOM) network of health care providers; 60 percent of the costs for treatment received from non-PPOM members; and 80 percent of prescription costs.

    What should I do if I need medical attention?

    In a non-emergency situation, you must first visit the University Health Center. If the doctor or nurse determines further treatment is needed, he or she will issue a referral form. This form refers you to an off-campus health care provider who is a member of Preferred Providers of Michigan (PPOM).

    In an emergency situation, or if the Health Center is closed, go to any PPOM emergency facility. The nearest 24-hour urgent care facility is Providence Hospital's Express Care located at 16001 West Nine Mile Road in Southfield.

    If you do not visit the Health Center or a PPOM facility first, but instead go directly to a non-PPOM doctor or hospital, you will have to pay the first $50 of your medical costs for each incidence of sickness or injury. (This is called a deductible.)

    In addition, if you visit an off-campus doctor who is not a PPOM member, the Detroit Mercy insurance policy will pay only 60 percent of your medical costs.

    Do I need to contact the insurance company if I receive medical attention?

    If you seek emergency treatment, are referred to an off-campus health care provider or purchase prescribed medicine, you will need to inform the insurance company about the treatment you received and how much it cost. This is called filing a claim. You must obtain a claim form (available from the Health Center), complete the form and send it with your referral form and any receipts or bills you have received to the insurance company.

    Important: Referrals are valid only for the current policy year. After August 20, to avoid paying a deductible, you must get a new referral from the Health Center even if you are continuing to see a referred doctor or purchasing prescribed medicine for a continuing condition.

    If you have questions regarding the University's insurance plan, please contact the International Student Advisor or call the insurance company at 877-437-6535. 


    Other services


    Routine dental care is not provided under the Detroit Mercy insurance plan for international students; however, you can obtain professional, relatively inexpensive care at the Detroit Mercy Dental Clinic, located on the Corktown Campus at 2700 Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard in Detroit. The clinic is staffed by faculty and students of the Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry. Appointments are scheduled Monday through Friday. For more information, call 313-494-6700 or visit their web site.

    Counseling Services

    Dealing with personal problems is often doubly difficult when you are far from home and, perhaps, from your family and friends. The foreign student advisor is available to help you with minor problems of homesickness or cultural adjustment. However, if you are experiencing a significant personal problem that is interfering with your studies or daily life, you should seek the advice and assistance of a professional counselor. On-campus counseling services are provided free of charge to all Detroit Mercy students and all information is strictly confidential. See the foreign student advisor for a referral to a qualified counselor, or you can learn more about counseling services by visiting the Detroit Mercy Personal Counseling site.